• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

My new pet Stonefish that I got today smile.gif

The guys at Vebas jokingly tried to convince me that he enjoys a pat (just watch out for those top spines LOL)

I thought he'd be boring and just sit there but he's already doing laps of the tank within 30mins of being introduced. It's funny watching all the other fish follow him around keeping their distance.

Dazza

#2 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:13 PM

very nice dazza...

itys true wat they say... about pets looking like their owners...hehe j/k! laugh.gif

#3 Graeme

Graeme
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:59 PM

(DR14GoNF14SH)
very nice dazza...

itys true wat they say... about pets looking like their owners...hehe j/k! laugh.gif

Thats funny

Sorry dazza i dont know you and mean no offence!

its a cool fish, And i love the first photo!!
That eye and all the red lumps around it is gross (but nice!!)

Graeme

#4 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 04:49 PM

WHAT! I just read your Pm and laughed, i though that was a joke!!!

I am already getting goose bumps from putting my hand into my tank with no lionfish let alone something that kills you in under 1 hour and no way in hell of surviving!!!

you are living on the edge ill tell you that, ahaha i love him.

#5 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:10 PM

beautiful fish

may i ask how much it costs ( if you don't wont to disclose i understand)

thanks
sam

#6 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:41 PM

very nice fish ! you got to love it !

#7 monobono

monobono
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 05:42 PM

Very Nice, dare I say "attractive" fish. biggrin.gif

#8 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:04 PM

Is true wot they say about owners and their pets lookin alike. Careful coz my sting is just as deadly! wink.gif LOL tis all fun

Only cost me $40 bargain! Most ppl pay a lot more for a near death experience wink.gif 4 lions, a stonefish and a frogfish so far. I'm in no rush to put my hand in that tank for a while me thinks.

Dazza

#9 kuhni

kuhni
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

Frogfish = Awesome. andywg on tropical fish forums has 1, he had 2 but one died for unknown reasons.

NicholasC, Kills you in under one hour? I was under the impression that a stonefish is like a lionfish, Extremely painful and can be fatal in instances where the victim has a weak heart.

#10 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:26 PM

Stonefish are far beyond deadly:

Its dorsal area is lined with spines that release a venomous toxin. It is the most dangerous of known venomous fish and its venom causes severe pain with possible shock, paralysis, and tissue death depending on the depth of the penetration. This level can be fatal to humans if not given medical attention within a couple of hours. Immediate first aid treatment requires the immobilisation of venom at penetration site; depending on the depth of penetration this can be achieved either by firm constrictive bandaging or by a managed tourniquet sited between wound and proximal flexure.

and a lionfish:

Lionfish are members of the scorpionfish family Scorpaenidae, and have venomous dorsal, pelvic and anal spines. Typically they have 12 to 13 dorsal spines, 2 pelvic spines and 3 anal spines. Each spine contains two grooves containing venom producing tissue. The ornate pectoral fins, though similar in appearance the dorsal fins, are not equipped with these glands.

The severity of an envenomation event may depend on the species and the size of the lionfish. The predominate effects of the lionfish venom are severe pain and swelling (edema) in the area around the wound. Other systematic responses such as nausea, dizziness, muscle weakness, shortness of breath, hypotension, and headache have been recorded either from the venom or as a reaction to level of pain.

In a series of 101 documented cases of captive lionfish envenomations in the US, the following effects were reported (Gallagher, 2001):

* 92% of patients experienced local pain
* 60% of patients experienced edema
* 13% of patients experienced systematic symptoms
* 1% of patients experienced tissue necrosis
* 0% of patients experienced death

I would swim in a tub of lionfish before i touched a stonefish 8O biggrin.gif

#11 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:33 PM

Trying to figure out if this is a Reef Stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa) or a Estuarine (Synanceia horrida). Any ideas??

#12 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

Looks like the dorsal spines have been cut off as they would.

Not many shops sell things they can get sued for these days like when you buy rays they are debarded

Well it looks like it to me cause i thought the spines where alot longer

#13 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:21 PM

The spines toward the front are folded over, perhaps an old injury or deformity. From what I've read there are 13 dorsal spines that can inject the poison, not just the front ones.

#14 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:31 PM

Thats BS in my opinion, can you ask if you can keep the spines?

I would hate to buy any fish and have it defaced or harmed in any way. It would be like buying a lionfish, but they remove all the fins just in case :roll:

I can understand why though, with this day and age people cannot buy somthing and take responsability for it's actions. :?

If you buy a stonefish, i think it should be the stores responsability to tell you about it's venom, if you get stung though then dont track it back to them.

It isn't that noticeable and he still looks great!, i guess if it doesn't harm the stonefish then it is alright. But i would still request one to be untouched if i was to buy one.

#15 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

Looks like the dorsal spines have been cut witch dont matter cause that one cool fish i want one.

Just some questions for every one ?

Vebas or any lfs can not sell fish that have the posiblity of killing you they might not even no it but they would of brought it de spined imo unless it demed not to be a threat ?.

Cause some one could by it get spiked die or get seriouly hurt and they where are they at then ?

Im sure they dont make people sign a contract waving your rights to live if you buy that fish ?

Just like every where else if you buy a sting ray or an animal they contains a posion they are normaly be barded defanged in some way well that way my understanding ?

Ive seen these in the wild and there dorsal fins are alot longer and hurt like hell !

All questions aside that is one cool fish !

I like things that are diffrent and are unusual and this fish takes the care well done good buy !

#16 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:01 PM

I'm not too sure whether the spines have been cut but I'm not going to take any chances. The same precautions apply.

Some distributors will ask u to sign a waver saying that u will take full responsibilty for any accidents or injury that may occur.

#17 alec

alec
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 May 2007 - 09:11 PM

(dazzabozza)
I'm not too sure whether the spines have been cut but I'm not going to take any chances. The same precautions apply.

Some distributors will ask u to sign a waver saying that u will take full responsibilty for any accidents or injury that may occur.

i thought that you also had to have a interveiw :?:

#18 Arch

Arch
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:44 PM

i heard at vebas that they sell blue ringed octopus?

isnt this a serious safety hazard

Blue ring occies can kill you in like 30minutes?

cheers for feedback

#19 Arch

Arch
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

Stonefish are not deadly.

i know someone who stepped on one and survived easy

all stonefish do is give u some pain

just stick infected area in hot water and wala!
I would step on a stonefish for $100 becoz its still bloody painful lmao

NOT DEADLY!

#20 Arch

Arch
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 May 2007 - 04:49 PM

Blue ringed octopus bite you with there beak

EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!

NO ANTIVENOM

all that can save you is constant DR ABC

If your home on your own and bitten your %#$ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic