Photo

Building A Pond - Tips?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Hey guys, building a pond with my mate from work & was wondering on how to do it.

I've gathered to dig a hole haha, he said he is planning to dig it out, brick it, then what?

A friend told me to render it, but i dont think that would be water resistant against all the pressure etc surely it'd leak?

Is there any special way to do this? Or is this completely wrong?

Please let me know smile.gif

Cheers, Matty

#2 Jeff

Jeff
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

I've never built one but am thinking of it in the near future. I've been doing a bit of research and personally like this one: http://www.monsterfi...-gal-Pond-Build

Hope the link works for you. It's massive but you could definitely use the idea on a smaller scale smile.gif

#3 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Aquotix have some pretty rad pre-shaped ponds. Have you checked them out?

#4 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Nah mate, I haven't.

It's my friend from work that wants to build one at his place, I'm unsure if he wants to do it as a DIY job (self esteem boost tongue.gif) or buy one.

I'll ask him though, how big are they Anka?

#5 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

Hey Matty

Consider building 2 ponds.. The reason I say this is because you can set up a natural system this way smile.gif the way to do it is have your main pond, say 1000lt (just an example) and then a secondary spill pond, at least 20% of the size of the main pond, running into the main pond. The Benefit is that the spill pond becomes your filtration when you fill it with plants! In my opinion it's a much better way to filter a pond but if space is limited then you have other options smile.gif

As for building a pond from brick it's definitely possible.. Again you have a few options, first you could render the brickwork and then use a waterproof topcoat to seal the inside.. There are many options for pond sealants. The second option is to use a flexible pond liner and tack it to the top of the brick work. There is a German made pond liner available at the woodvale fish and Lilly farm that I highly recommend and have used many times myself smile.gif

If you want a hand I'm happy to help you out with sorting a great design for a pond smile.gif

Cheers
Riggers smile.gif

#6 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Google building koi ponds with liners.
Many diagrams will be shown and doesnt take long to get the idea.
Often the qoakka paper has in free section moss rock and coffee rock to finish of edges if this is a desire.

#7 aussiemcgee

aussiemcgee
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I used to build ponds for a living and I would always steer clients away from the whole brick/ render/ waterproof style - I have only ever seen a one or two never leak. And once it starts, it becomes a nightmare chasing and filling the leaky point(s).

If you want the brick or rocky look, you can build it up and around the prefab plastic or fibre glass shapes that are available at most lfs or bunnies, and then cap it with rock or bullnose capping (depending on the look you are chasing - formal or natural)

The liners are also a good option but definately spend the extra and go the ruberised german stuff. The glorifiend builders plastic PVC liners become brittle at the surface areas after a few years.

#8 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (aussiemcgee @ Jan 21 2013, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to build ponds for a living and I would always steer clients away from the whole brick/ render/ waterproof style - I have only ever seen a one or two never leak. And once it starts, it becomes a nightmare chasing and filling the leaky point(s).

If you want the brick or rocky look, you can build it up and around the prefab plastic or fibre glass shapes that are available at most lfs or bunnies, and then cap it with rock or bullnose capping (depending on the look you are chasing - formal or natural)

The liners are also a good option but definately spend the extra and go the ruberised german stuff. The glorifiend builders plastic PVC liners become brittle at the surface areas after a few years.
Very realistic and valuable points.
I think the German stuff is called Butal Ethylene.

#9 liman

liman
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hi Matty,

Any update on this?
I'm looking at building myself as well in the near future and appreciate if you can share some info.

Cheers,
Steven

#10 emille

emille
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

my advice would be to make it as big as possible.

use as thick a liner as you can afford

put a 'step' in it (o a shallow side) so that you can put lots of plants in (I think this is the key to success for a well balanced pond)

build it in the shade

i think the store bought ones are too small (if you want to keep koi that is)

e

Edited by emille, 17 April 2013 - 09:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users