Photo

What Other Equipment Is Required?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:37 PM

(This may not be appropriate for the marine section and may be better placed in the technical/equipment subforum - so if it pleases the mods please move it accordingly)

I was thinking of setting up a nano reef aquarium on my desk.

http://www.aquariump...g...710&catID=2

This products looks pretty good - is there any other equipment that will be required? It seems to have a skimmer, filter, lighting and pump.

Cheers

Anka

Edited by Anka, 17 January 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#2 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

you may need a heater but that little box will keep all but sps corals. A person on masa has one and recently moded the lights to keep sps corals.

#3 Gareth

Gareth
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

I have seen these tanks in Vebas for sale aswell. They look pretty good.

Rivereef also have some of these smaller style nano tanks too.
They actually have a display one on thier counter, it looked really really good, until I bought majority of their corals in it for my tank. haha. Even still with the few corals left in it, it is really aesthetically appealing. I tend to stare at the nano tank more than their 6x2x3 display tank (might be bigger) they have just started, not saying that the big display isnt good, but it amazes me how u can keep such beauty in such confined spaces. I recommend going in and checking it out. Dave is also really knowledgable when it comes to marine tanks too. Loves a chat aswell.lol. The reason he did a nano display was to prove to customers that such a system can be maintained...
Hope u like doing water changes, cause the nano's need them daily...lol. smile.gif

#4 pacco

pacco
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

We should have all three colours in stock at Vebas. On special for $85 (with skimmer) but you need an air pump to run a skimmer, and a little heater

Cheers
Pacco

#5 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

$85! Is that it! Freaking bargain Pacco!! smile.gif

#6 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Typically what % would the water change be?

Surely a couple litres a day couldn't be too bad, but I guess doing it everyday would kinda suck.

Can you recommend any books that are comprehensive on corals, fish and inverts for nanos? I know practically nothing about marine/reefs but after seeing Nick's shark and lionfish I am extremely keen to start off small and fully commit to a reef/marine later.

#7 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

not a book but at the Masa forums there is a knowledge base called reefapedia, its written and maintained by very experienced reefers.

Now as for water changes 25% a week should be fine. However if something goes wrong it will super fast cause of the lack of volume of water.
In saying that, you wont need to worry about dosing chemicals. All you should have to do is top the water up every day to every second day. (with fresh RO water)

Have a read there and you will find out a lot more.

#8 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

Thanks a bunch mate :3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users