6ft Marine Tank Setup

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 CJJ

CJJ
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hey PCS MEMBERS,
Im in the process of setting up a 6 ft marine tank and have run into a few little things that I need help with...

I was wondering where you get water tanks for salt water storage, Was thinking of a big green wheely bin??

Ive built a 4 ft sump, what are your thoughts on DSB fuge in the sump, worth doing or just trouble with little benifits?

do you need carbon and GFO reactors or can you let water trickle through the media in the sump..

Is the activated cabon on ebay ok to use or not worth trying..

what test kits do I need? ( ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, etc)

If DSB is not a good idea, what should I do with the huge space in my sump where a Fuge would go?

what should I use as a substrate for the display tank... was thinking of having a very fine layer of aragonite along the bottom so Its easy to clean, sound alright??
Can you use beach sand (if properly cleaned etc) our should I buy aragonite from the shops?

How much rock will I need and do you have any pointers on aqua scaping the display... Ive picked up some nice coral bundis to use as base rock (Ill need a few more) and was just going to build up around them..

Can I make one rock mountain to start with, then save up and put another rock mountain in later... Or shall I wait and do I all at once?

smile.gif ANY advice would be appreciated..
THANKS GUYS!

CJJ

My DIY 4 ft sump

#2 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Hey man. I don't keep marines. But as far as water storage goes. Hop onto gumtree. Search IBC water container. You should be able to pick up a 1000Ltr container in a metal frame for about $100

#3 CJJ

CJJ
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

Sweet Cheers Sam! Ill look into it smile.gif

#4 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

How big is the tank 6x?x?

#5 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

I'll see if I can answer a few of those questions for ya smile.gif

Water storage, 1000lt ibc as previously stated by Sam, round 100 bucks

I like the DSB its a great place for extra filtration as the sand becomes live, if you ever get sick of it, seahorse tank! smile.gif

You don't have to have any reactors as all the additives can be added in a powder form at any stage, this leads to test kits as well, API sell 2 test kits, the marine test kit and the reef test kit, will do most of your basics. I wouldn't bother with the carbon as the live rock will do most of your filtering smile.gif

Give the tank a nice couple of inches of coral sand or similar, it also becomes live and will support small organisms as well.

The way you scape your tank is purely personal choice and is really up to you. You will need plenty of flow though to avoid any dead water in your tank smile.gif

If you want flick us a pm with your number and we can chat more smile.gif

Cheers
Rigs

#6 CJJ

CJJ
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

6x1.5x1.5

#7 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

I forgot to mention skimmers as well but we'll save that for later smile.gif

#8 CJJ

CJJ
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:20 PM

Awesome, cheers Riggs.. Would you use the same sand for your dsb as you would for your main tank?
Can you just collect sand from the beach or do you think Its best to buy it? smile.gif

thanks

#9 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Yeah use the same all through smile.gif I'd be a little cautious with getting sand from the beaches because of the possible legalities with rangers etc and although small there's a chance of contamination. But yeah it has been done smile.gif

#10 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

the issue with a dsb in the fuge is a dsb requires different conditions than a fuge. a fuge requires slower gentle flow where as a dsb should have faster flow over the top of it. Also another issue that can arise is the dsb may be fowled with detritus that the fuge collects.

#11 CJJ

CJJ
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

I see.. the section in my sump does have pretty slow water movement through it... so just a bare bottom fuge where detritus collects, could have some LR for pods and/ or seaweed in there...
What are your thoughts on DSB display tank??

I see.. the section in my sump does have pretty slow water movement through it... so just a bare bottom fuge where detritus collects, could have some LR for pods and/ or seaweed in there...
What are your thoughts on DSB display tank??

#12 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

im a big fan of remote dsb. That way if there ever is any complications with the dsb (hydrogen sulphide) it can be disconnected and cleaned with out fear of hurting your display.

#13 aussiemcgee

aussiemcgee
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

be wary of any cheap water tubs that they are food grade and been thoroughly cleaned.

#14 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

Good point Aussie I know of a club member who bought food grade ibc's had it on his drive way to clean it out hosing the inside turned on the tap to draimeans it melted the paint off his drive way. Be carefully.

#15 CJJ

CJJ
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

Wowsers, I will be careful, thanks guys! What do you thnink about a couple of green wheely bins?

#16 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

Yeah mate I reckon wheelie bins would be fine, how much does a bin hold? It's a good idea smile.gif

#17 CJJ

CJJ
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

240L are the big ones, so Id want at least 2 of them for it to be worth while.. smile.gif

#18 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

where you going to get hold of 2 bins to store water ?

#19 CJJ

CJJ
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:43 PM

You can buy them new from Bunnings, otherwise I could look into asking the council for some...? don't know what would be more cost effective.. but the wheely bins would not stand out as much and they would be 'some what' moveable..

Do you need to keep the water at a constant temp and keep stirring / areating it? or would you just pull out enough for a water change and adjust it accordingly...?

#20 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

When storing SW it doesn't need anything to airate or move the water, I keep mine sealed to avoid any bugs n stuff getting in but other than that it just sits in the carport until I need it. smile.gif IMO the Ibc would be more cost effective of the 2 smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users