Ngara Breeding Help!!!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:55 PM

Hi here Lex
I have a ngara flametail colony from Germany and 4/9 of my females are holding! Now I got told that tumblers are bad and to use a flour siv and an airs tone underneath to tumble the eggs! Is this a good idea? But what do you use to tumble your eggs? I don't want to spend much money and have only 1 other tank for fry and growout how do you think I will design it? Should I get a small set of 3-4 litre tanks for fry? Maybe 3? Please help me! I have 1 tank for fry eggs a juvies how will I make it so they are all in the tank? Will I need another tank? Sorry for all these questions it's just I'm worried! And the colony is 4 years old and has bred multiple times! Thanks

Yours Sincerely Lex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 silverscreen

silverscreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:13 PM

hey lex...i use tumblers that i got from ebay...the lfs sting ya too much for them...about $12 with free shipping...i have used a flour siv and tea strainers...thing with them is they are hard to keep in place and have lost a few eggs ...anyway there is a few options..

let the female hold for nearly the term 18-20 days and then you dont need tumblers just fry savers easiest option but also risky she might spit of swallow them.

take the females out and put them in a small tank and let them go the distance.

make a cheap version of a tumbler...heaps of videos on youtube

hit ebay now and buy time they get here you strip the females then.

i have even used a good quality small net...a little easier to keep in the right postion...remember with sivs,strainer nets...you have to have the airstone right underneath them and the right amount of bubbles so you will need a valve on the airline.

hope this helps...good luck

#3 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2015 - 05:25 PM

hey lex...i use tumblers that i got from ebay...the lfs sting ya too much for them...about $12 with free shipping...i have used a flour siv and tea strainers...thing with them is they are hard to keep in place and have lost a few eggs ...anyway there is a few options..
let the female hold for nearly the term 18-20 days and then you dont need tumblers just fry savers easiest option but also risky she might spit of swallow them.
take the females out and put them in a small tank and let them go the distance.
make a cheap version of a tumbler...heaps of videos on youtube
hit ebay now and buy time they get here you strip the females then.
i have even used a good quality small net...a little easier to keep in the right postion...remember with sivs,strainer nets...you have to have the airstone right underneath them and the right amount of bubbles so you will need a valve on the airline.

hope this helps...good luck

Yes but it's just that I have more than one female!

#4 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:22 PM

then you buy more than one tubler....

#5 Petert

Petert
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:22 PM

When I was breeding I used to have a calender in the shed where I'd record the day and the specie that I noticed holding with a (#).

I'd then go 15 days forward and again mark calender with the specie holding with a (*) where I'd watch the female daily.

You'll soon get to know by the bottom jaw colour the right day to strip her.

I stripped with 2 x ice cream containers. One for the female/s and one for the fry.

Put the fry in a fry saver. If any still have egg sacks, they'll be fine in the saver as well.

If I were to get it wrong, and stripped too early, IE: eggs only, leave the female alone with the eggs and she re-collects them.

#6 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:42 PM

Why tumble?

Let them hold full term.

Once the skin under the females chin turns a dark colour they have hatched.

Then strip or separate and let her raise.

Just leave them be

#7 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:36 PM

think she is ready is this one more ready?

#8 Petert

Petert
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:58 PM

Not yet imo and by this.

10 days ago you put up this thread.

"Basically why are they not breeding".

http://www.perthcich...showtopic=60432

By the looks of the bottom jaw on those vids, they're still a week away from ready IMO only.

When they are ready the underjaw will go very dark in colour and she'll be battling to hold them in.

#9 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:50 AM

Patience young grasshopper, he who run around like  headless chook end up with massive headache.

#10 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2015 - 06:50 AM

Patience young grasshopper, he who run around like  headless chook end up with massive headache.

Ok thanks it's just they weren't breeding but the one in the second vid was holding but I didn't know and now it's like super black so I am panicking

#11 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 March 2015 - 07:34 AM

Also remember that you don't have to collect EVERY fry that's spawned.   If you don't have the facilities to collect the fry, will you have the facilities to raise them in an ethical way?  Feeding and housing fry adequately costs money.  What happens if, when you get them to a saleable size, you find there is a very limited market for them?  Are you going to be able to adequately house a large number of growing fish until they sell?  Perhaps you need to take things slowly.  Collect fry from one or two females now.  They are cichlids!  They will breed again . . . . . and again . . . . . . and again!  Perhaps better to have fry of staggered sizes coming through than a large number of fish that will hit the market all at the same time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users