Photo

Fish Food - Brand Vs Quality Vs Price

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

All my cichlids love hikari pellets, which are mid range in price and they are looking great.

Sera flora are great too for smaller Cichlids.

#22 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

hikari beats the pants off NLS ....

#23 Naraic

Naraic
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

No one food has it all, some come closer than others but a broad spectrum mix is always best, a good quality protein and colour food maybe, the best spirulina you can find, some flakes (floats), some pellets (floats), some sinking pellets (for mbuna) etc. Look at the ingredients, how are they listed? Generally by percentage weight so if the first ingredient on the list is a cereal or a wheat based protein move on don't bother with it as it doesn't belong in fish food its just a cheap filler as it is in 80% of dog and cat foods.

It blows me away how many people waffle on about only the best for their fish and Quality over Quantity and then go and buy chook pellets and buzz their nitrates over 180PPM and Phosphates through the roof.

Michael, NLS is definitely not expensive "just for the name" it is a very good quality food just as New Era is. IF USED CORRECTLY both foods you will find go further than basic foods (i.e. better dollar to number of feeds value) and offer a more direct diet with smaller waste profiles.

#24 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:23 AM

How goes the silver perch feed FM?

#25 Frontosaman

Frontosaman
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:00 AM

It goes good, they seem to like it, but creates slot of waste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#26 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:26 AM

I buy sera flora and sera San flakes by the bucket, sera Marin for my salt water tank, aqua munch African pellets and for bigger fish I use 6mm sinking protein pellets, whitebait, sardines, prawns and live food. And veggies for the catties

#27 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

I only feed hikari range (carni pellets mainly), and frozen human prepared seafoods.

generally a 50 / 50 mix.

in my collection theres a few valuable fish, so I only feed high quality foods and swear by it - but each to there own.

Feed a fish cheap food for a few months then swap to a top shelf food - see the improvements and benefits within weeks, both in water quality and fish itself.

I want to try the new era range next.

#28 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

Spectrum, New Era and HBH are three very good foods, buy it in bulk instead of the small containers and it works out a lot cheaper per volume.

#29 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:07 PM

Hikari is better then all 3<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

+1 to TCM, Hikari are the best IMO.

All my fish love Hikari pellets plus they are reasonably priced and my fish grow quickly and they colour up nicely.

For catfish sera flora is good

#31 Frontosaman

Frontosaman
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

Anyone ever used Repasy Gel Mix? or know if it is available in Aus?

#32 Moses

Moses
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:00 PM

I used to feed NLS exclusively but got sick of the garlic smell clogging my nostrils every time I entered my fishroom. Been using Hikari for the past 12 months and I'm very impressed. Fish are healthy with vibrant colours and grow suprisingly quick. 

#33 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

Frontosaman are you talking about Repashy the stuff that Ted Judy promotes?

#34 Frontosaman

Frontosaman
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

That's the one, I emailed him. Was just wondering if anyone had tried it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

I use nls, sera, new era, and Aquotix growth & colour pellets.
Never tried the repashy stuff. I only know about it as Ted Judy keeps westies, which are my favourite kind of fish
I'm also a fan of hikari food. The sinking cichlid excel is good stuff

Edited by Jason82, 21 June 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#36 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

What do you guys think is the best pleco wafers/pellets out there?

#37 Frontosaman

Frontosaman
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

I Feed mine Hikari Sinking and Algae wafers Aquaone Vege Wafter BUt the LOVE NLS Grow!!

#38 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

HBH wafers for me. Different ingredients, not the same old blend reworked.

#39 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

Pleco Pellets from New Era Are A Big Hit In My Tanks, Its Nice To See There Not Just Mush, There's Little Bits Of Stuff In There

#40 Patto

Patto
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

I feed mine Nls, new era and Hikari.

Nls Grow for the fry - awesome stuff that I can't find a fault with.

Nls Cichlid for most tanks (general food) - great food, fish have always had good colour and breed well, but the issue of it not sinking sucks a little bit, that hopefully they sort out soon. plus you get reddish dust on the top of water. Doesn't worry me that much.

Nls thera A 3mm for the frontosa's - another awesome food, but does make your tank smell of garlic. Only reason I don't use it in the fish room, but always had healthy, happy fish with it.

Hikari Algae Wafers for L397 and peppermints - I've used it for a years. Only thing I found with these is if they don't eat it. Next morning it's exploded and there is a decent mess to siphon out. I've been thinking about trying nls H2O Stable Wafers because I've read they don't explode haha.

New Era - tried red and green cichlid for 6 months instead of nls cichlid. I personally found this food to be just as good as nls, I saw no difference in colour, breeding or health. But some of the things I did notice was, as they were eating there seemed to be alot going through there gills and floating around the tank. I started feeding smaller amounts with little change to the waste coming through the gills. Another thing I did notice I fed my display tank just on new era red for almost 2 weeks ( I had ran out of green and was debating if to get more) what I found was the fish in the tank seem to get whole lot more aggressive, fighting all the time, nipping fins, even came home to see a chunk taken out of one. Now this could be a complete coincidence, no idea. I normally mixed red and green. But red has 47.5% protein and green has 37% from memory and I did remember thinking at the time about gym junkies and full protein diets, the health nuts will know what I'm talking about.. But besides that I would buy new era again give the fish a bit of variety.

I also feed frozen blood worms/shrimp maybe once a week and whitebait/prawns for the frontosa's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users