Photo

Convict Frys

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 chichi

chichi
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:03 PM

Please help my pair of convicts has finally got frys 20 of them biggrin.gif . because they are wiggling around and so small what do I feed them, I am worried what to give them they are orsome to watch now looks like another 3 feet tank is needed. The Male and Female have a interesting job looking after they're fry, I thought they were going to eat them but I notice they got to a corner and spit them out. The male shows an aggressive face when I take a closer look at the frys. Now I like to see my new firemouths do the same maybe have to wait a little longer

#2 Keddy

Keddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

you can get things like mircoworms but i just crush up some flakes, fry will pick at it

#3 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:26 PM

When our convicts bred, I bought a product by Sera called Micropan (I think!), basically it's flakes crushed up really really small. Or you could just get normal flakes and crush them up really small.

To feed them, I used to put some in the palm of my hand, mix a couple of drops of tank water in to make a paste, then I used to drag my hand through the tank water, this enabled the "paste" to be distributed through the tank and made it easy for the fry to find it and gobble it up!

Hope this helps! laugh.gif

Let us know how you go biggrin.gif

#4 cobby

cobby
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:28 PM

Good Tip FishGal biggrin.gif

Micro worms are also good

Regards Cobby

#5 FishGal

FishGal
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

Ta! biggrin.gif

Though I learnt the hard way lol, it was the first and last lot of fry I've ever had and tried that method after several others had failed!

#6 Kimbo

Kimbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:51 PM

If you mix up some flake with water or sera micropan or any sort of food in a small container you can use a pipette to suck it up and then squirt it pretty close to the fry. Look forward to a whole lot more fry, as they dont stop breeding!

#7 morg

morg
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:58 AM

I just use a damp finger. Food sticks to finger. Put finger into tank and swirl. Job done 8)

#8 madasa

madasa
  • Banned

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:02 AM

(Kimbo)
If you mix up some flake with water or sera micropan or any sort of food in a small container you can use a pipette to suck it up and then squirt it pretty close to the fry. Look forward to a whole lot more fry, as they dont stop breeding!

This is also what I do though i ise a syringe

#9 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:41 PM

Fishgals on the money

cheers
kyle

#10 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:48 PM

i uesed to feed mine crushed flakes

#11 chichi

chichi
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:11 PM

OK I tried the crushed flakes and just seems to float everywhere after a while the crushed flakes seemed to settle down to the floor. Are these Micro worms tiny? I love watching the little frys wiggling around,sorry just excited so weird how the parents change their attitude from being free minded to parents I suppose its nature taking its course.Hey everyone what is the Max putting convicts (when they grow bigger) in a tank which is 36x14x18. possibly may have to sell some as they get older.For our condition of the water in Perth do they grow quite big right up to 6" here, I saw I think a pair at Midland Aquarium in a big tank is that about the full size

#12 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

they get big the males look good full sized i had a couple large males they are awsome and convicts make the best mums and dads ive seen

#13 chichi

chichi
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:51 PM

Today I had to clean my convicts tank and the male bit me ouch!! the female tried to as well. The frys are still wiggling around. I was told that after 5 weeks the female will lay another batch gee's they don't waste time do they. At what point do they stop breeding. Hey can you feed meal worms or maggots to the parents just enough to get them sightly bulky

#14 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:57 PM

most cichlids love eating meal worms but they dont digest all the shell and it messes up the top of you tank and i dont think it would be good to feed them long term on it but blood worms imo are good for bulking up fish. oh yeah and if you take the fry out now and put them in a fry saver they will spawn again i used to get mine spawing once a week 8O and they will draw blood when taking the fry out the only way i could stop them from spawning was to leave fry in with them and they slow down. im sure if you put them in seperate tanks they will still breed they breed that much

#15 chichi

chichi
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

Thanks benckie, I think I will feed them bloodworms for a week and see how I go, you must have heeps how big are your tanks or tank maybe as my frys get bigger I may seperate the males and females man I keep buying these 36'' length tanks maybe I should go 48" tanks and less deco problem is, room is limited

#16 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:42 AM

i uesed to keep mine in 48 and 36 tanks by them selfs and one 48 tank with a few other cichlids but i never keep any fry i just grew them and used them as feeders instead of buying feeder fish :twisted:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users