Photo

Going African

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fishrock

Fishrock
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

so ive only every kept americans but looking at going african in a 6x2. i like the whole limestone deal in each corner. i dont really know much about keeping africans. if anyone can tell me the main differeces from americans. i do know about higher ph though

#2 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

If your talking Malawi there easy. Fill tank with water , decorate how you like and throw them in. Sit back enjoy.
Some Tangs are a bit more picky.

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:35 AM

Yep Bowdy is right about malawis. Easy as that just cycle your tank and go for it... i recommend male only for displays, means no hybrid fry and limits aggression. There are some species that get quite aggressive. Good thing about malawis though is their typical behavioural traits are well documented so with a little bit of research you shouldnt have too many surprises.
Tangs are more individual some as Bowdy pointed out are quite fussy. I would have to say that tangs, whilst not as "pretty", are far more interesting.

#4 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

The main difference with Africans are the Haps and Mbuna. Haps are the group that include species like N.venustus, Dimi comps, Copadichromis sp etc. They are generally piscivores (eat other fish) and grow quite large, about 20-25cm on average and swim in open water.

The Mbuna are species like Labichromis sp, Melanochromis etc. Those are the rock dwellers and they are mainly vegetarians or they eat crustaceans etc. They are generally territorial and can get pretty aggressive if you're not careful or the tank is too small. Check out the article here: http://www.cichlid-f...ps_vs_mbuna.php

One strategy to stem aggression is to crowd the tank, but that generally works best with one species only and could be a bit much for a 6x2 tank in terms of filtration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users